Monday, August 6, 2007

101 things to do in Yuma

I've been very lazy about blogging lately. I'll try to do better.
A friend of mine showed me a list of 101 things to do in Yuma, which I now can't find on the internet. Maybe it's sort of a dark humor that's only funny if you actually live here, but even now I am giggling. Some of my favorites: 1. Shoot at stray cats with BB guns. 2. Shoot at stray cats with shotguns. 3. Read in the paper about how the stray cat population is growing. 4. Drag race the snowbirds down 4th Avenue. 5. Go to super Walmart. 6. Swim illegally in the canals. 7. Watch dead people float down the canals. 8. Swim with dead people in the canals. 9. Hang out in Sanguinetti park around 11pm and wait for the sprinklers to come on. 10. Go to super Walmart again. And on and on.... Please don't be offended- I don't actually advocate shooting at cats.
It's not that bad. But Yuma does have a really bad stray cat problem and there are 3 Walmarts in a town of 100,000 people, and apparently if you are smuggling drugs and you get caught the drug mafia throws your body in the canal. Speaking of canals, the water levels were really low this morning for some reason and I swear I counted 10 shopping carts in the canal within 1.5 miles. It made me laugh because I was thinking how people throw bikes in the canals in Amsterdam. Different continents, same moronic impulses...
The high today was only 101 and I kid you not, you can feel the difference. It's downright pleasant to walk around outside when it's only 95. When it's not 115, the wind feels nice instead of feeling like someone's chasing you with a blowdryer.

No comments: