Saturday, July 28, 2007

Politics

I listen to the news on public radio every morning. I like being informed, but there are some days that I just get angry. And this has been a bad week. Allow me to vent a bit:
So the program that gives states money to use on establishing health care programs for children whose families have incomes above the poverty line, but who still can't afford private health insurance (ok, I could just stop right there, because that's an embarassing enough problem for the land of the American dream, but I'll continue) is up for renewal, and Congress is actually talking about expanding it, because for some incomprehensible reason the number of kids in this category keeps rising. And then Bush has the absolute audacity to announce that he's going to veto any expansion. Because it would be irresponsible to increase the funding. However His Infinite Wisdom apparently does not deem it irresponsible to (1) pour billions into Iraq every month despite the fact that we are seeing absolutely no good return on our money (2) sell arms cheap to Saudi Arabia to allow that veritable champion of human rights to keep its good democratic influence in the Middle East (3) continue fighting a "war on drugs" which has terrorized a lot of Columbian farmers and put a lot of people (most black men) in jail but done nothing to combat our national drug problem (4) throw out sentences for your cronies who lie (don't worry Gonzalez, I've got your back too- keep up the stonewalling and I'll take care of you just like I did Libby).
I am angry.
Add a whole lot of lies and arrogance to the picture with the whole firing of US attorneys. Questions: (1) If nothing improper was done, then what in the hell is Bush trying to hide with all this talk of executive privilege for every person who has ever breathed in the White House? (2) How many lies will we take from slimy slimy little Gonzalez before enough is enough? (3) Since when does the big murky cloud of executive privilege cover the entire Presidential staff?
I am angry.
How did we get to this point, and is there any way out? How long can we go on choking on lies and oily greed and rampant consumerism that ignores all sanity?

No comments: