Those of you who talk to me on a regular basis know that I wasn't real happy in Yuma. That I didn't fit there and didn't want to. But you also probably thought that my next step was Tucson. As did I, until less than a month ago. That's when the opportunity to work in the farmworker division of CLS in Phoenix opened up, and I thought, why not. Turns out Phoenix is not too bad, and things have fallen into place in such an amazing way that I have no doubt that this is where I'm supposed to be right now.
So just a quick synopsis: I live in central Phoenix, in a beautiful, fully furnished, and centrally located house with a very cool housemate who is a third year medical resident. I drive the four miles to work on a newly acquired Vino scooter, which I am very fond of already. I work in the farmworker division of the same organization I worked with in Yuma. Instead of handing out brief advice on security deposits and slum lords and child custody battles, I will be spending my time on wage and employment litigation on behalf of agricultural workers, nearly all of which are (legal) immigrants.
This is my first experience living IN a big city. Not in a suburb, not in a quaint little town- this is the CITY. It's a breath of fresh air- so many people! so much to do! coffee shops and foreign films and skyscrapers! All under Arizona's gorgeous big sunny sky.
Some memorable moments so far:
-Finding that although I have left Yuma, Mexico remains. Food City, my favorite Mexican grocery store, with a whole tortilla aisle and the most beautiful startling cheap veggies around, parking lot hazy with delicious chicken-infused smoke from the barbeque stall out front, is just a few miles away. AND- Trader Joe's, my guilty yuppie pleasure where I can buy fair trade coffee and organic milk and whole wheat pasta, is just a few miles the other way. I have the best of both worlds right here!
-Watching the Super Bowl with Maryam (my housemate)'s friends, most of them also medical residents. I didn't know who was playing until the game started, but the Giants won my respect. I know I rag on football for being a game played by dumb fat guys with necks the size of tree trunks, but after watching Eli Manning magically escape 3 defenders to throw a pass to the receiver who then catches the ball by holding it against his helmet with one hand while falling to the ground- WOW. I was impressed. Go Giants.
-My first day at work, in a very unfortunate office with no windows in a very ugly building right by the train tracks (yes, still a non-profit), it rained all day. Which is fairly unheard of in Arizona so it's always exciting. Being splattered by cars sloshing through giant puddles on the way home wasn't so fun, but like I said, this is uncommon.
-Not-so-small luxuries- internet and washer/dryer (look, no quarters!) in my house, nice living room furniture that I didn't pay for, a TV, dishwasher (only for when company comes over of course), curbside recycling. I am living the high life- so incredibly blessed.
-Finding out that Maryam and I share a love of foreign and independent films, rock climbing, and hiking! An instant "in" to this new world.
So my new life starts. Look for more frequent blogging to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment