I'll post pictures soon of my new life here. But for now, because I am lazy, I will write instead.
My move to Phoenix was so much more than a three hour drive- I have moved to a different reality, so much so that my Yuma life seems fuzzy and far away. There is so much to do and see, so many people to meet! I am realizing I need to make some serious decisions about how to budget my time (and discretionary income). So here's a few more snapshots of my life this week:
-driving 45 minutes (17 miles, but when you're on a scooter and can only use surface roads things take longer...) to play frisbee with a wonderful group in Tempe. I dove for a frisbee, got my shorts full of dry grass, scraped my legs, but it's a great way to get instant respect. This girl may be a little fuzzy on offensive strategy, but she's intense.... I'm going to join a league!!
-screaming in frustration at the ever-mutating road closures/construction. Once this light rail goes in, it will be a beautiful thing, but when roads close, or change direction, on an hourly basis, getting anywhere sometimes makes me absolutely and hysterically crazy. The daily commute is the worst part of my day.
- finding out how much in common I have with my uber-cool housemate, Maryam. We had lots of together time this weekend: going out dancing, to a cool Asian restaurant, watching movies, hiking Squaw peak while having great conversations. I am so blessed.
- complaining about my horrible horrible windowless office which leaves me bleary-eyed and sun-starved by 3pm. I have got to figure out how to make it workable somehow because otherwise I will not last at this job. And that would be a stupid reason to leave. So I'm looking into painting and getting some lamps with those sun-simulating light bulbs.
- marveling at how many young people are in this city... everywhere!
- being surrounded by white young professionals all the time is disconcerting. I need to find some more diversity. It's great to hang out with people like me, but I need do be challenged. I miss Yuma's scruffy taco stands and hearing Spanish everywhere.
- discovering that this city is built around mountains- so you are never far from a great hike. Amazing!
- doing yoga for the first time in my life. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Does that make me a yuppie?
- Spending two hours on ropes, clinging to the walls for dear life, in Tempe's rock climbing gym. It smells like pee, but it is a great workout when you can't do the real thing (rock climbing outside).
That's about it for now. I am still a little bewildered by this place I have landed in. In a good way. But still bewildered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment